Thursday, July 10, 2014

Linking my.eskwela and Facebook

Facebook nowadays is not anymore some kind of an app only for socializing. But it has also become a platform for developers to enjoy features that will boost app viral-ity and applicability to the intended community.

my.Eskwela is among those apps that integrate social networking sites to help users share school related badges. In my.Eskwela, badges refer to share-able items related to subject performance. One observer commented that, the feature is good to boost the morale of the learner when they share their accomplishments (or difficulties) to gain encouragements/suggestions/appreciations from the people who are members of their social network.

To enable sharing from my.Eskwela to Facebook, follow the steps outlined below:

1. Open  my.Eskwela in the Web Desktop and click the Social Media menu then Facebook Login button (see Figure 1). A  Facebook login dialog will be displayed like the one seen in Figure 2.

Figure 1.  Facebook Login Button

Figure 2. Facebook Login Dialog

2. Provide the  Facebook credentials (user name and password), then click on the Log In button. Wait for  Facebook to verify the credentials and when done,  my.Eskwela will try to look for an associated account with the current Facebook  account. If there is, then it is treated as successful  my.Eskwela login otherwise, an accounts not linked dialog will appear just like in Figure 3.

Figure 3. Accounts not linked dialog.

The dialog offers two options: existing users (green button) and not activated student accounts (orange button). The first option is for verification of existing  my.Eskwela users, clicking it will prompt the Login dialog. The latter button will only be applied to current students whose  my.Eskwela accounts are not yet activated. To activate, just follow the instructions here.

When the login credentials have been verified, Facebook will display the access rights as requested by my.Eskwela app for use in future operations. There are only two access rights my.Eskwela requests from the users, they are;

                                         1. Public Profile and Friends List (Figure 4)
                                         2. Posting (Figure 5)

 my.Eskwela  does not automatically post to Facebook the grades or any pertinent information related to student's performance, this is initiated by the user. The only automatic post  is the  my.Eskwela  First Badge (see Figure 6)! That tell friends of successful link between  my.Eskwela  and Facebook accounts. When the badge is clicked, it will automatically open a new browser window for my.Eskwela portal.


Figure 4. Public Profile and Friend's List

Figure 5. Posting


Figure 6. First Badge

Successful verification of my.Eskwela accounts and permission grants ensures the linkage of  my.Eskwela account and Facebook account. As already pointed out, the  Facebook credentials can then be used to login  my.Eskwela

How cool is that?

Fin.


(NOTE: This feature is only available in  my.Eskwela Desktop Web App.)

No comments: